Thanksgiving Service – October 2016
This is a collection of some of the things we are thankful for as a church, feel free to have a read of as much or as little as you want.
Just at the Right Time
- I was due to preach on the following Sunday on Paul and Silas and the Philipian jailer. I read through the story with a child so we could think about the story and talk about what it meant. We talked a lot about how being a Christian doesn’t mean bad things won’t happen to you but that God is with you in the dark and difficult times and that He can enable you to be ‘singing hymns’ and praising God even in the darkest prison. The following day the same child was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. In the hospital he remembered what we had talked about and recognised that God was with him.
- We made a financial investment after much time & prayer about it, it all seemed a bit last minute with needing money to come through but we prayed and the money came into our account on the same day as the investment was outgoing.
- Our baby was breech but after prayer by a friend, the baby had turned to the right position in time for the next check up so no need for scans or interventions.
- I always experience VERY painful ear ache when taking flights. We prayed and I experienced no pain on the outward or return flight.
- Thank you Lord for completely healing my nephew after a head injury in the pool!
- My friend was diagnosed with lymphoma & immediately started on a course of chemotherapy. He then had a heart attack too. We started praying for him. They inserted a stint to fix the heart and told him to rest (difficult for him). But the Lord gave him patience to recover his strength & determination to do what he was told (difficult for him). This week I visited him & was told that his latest scan was clear (no visible lymphoma). We rejoiced at the good news and acknowledged God & the NHS in his case.
- I’ve had a bad back recently, really painful & disturbing my sleep & not able to sit for very long. After prayer from our group & others it’s much better than before.
- Thankful that our young granddaughter is starting to learn to stand despite huge medical difficulties.
- Thankful to God for our baby & that He is being a hero in the ongoing process of healing damage.
- Through friends God has led us to Westwood – it is an oasis and at the moment, a place of healing and restoration after a very difficult and upsetting 18 months.
- Thankful for people praying for me when I had two cataract operations. Everything is now fine.
- I am really thankful for how God has improved my relationship with my mum. It got to a point where things were really difficult and I just wanted to give up and break contact. But I prayed and got lots of people around me to pray and a few days later, things had totally turned around. She’s being much more supportive of me and my faith, which at times she has been very dismissive of. I told her in the past about wanting and being called to be a vicar in the future and also was dismissive of that. She’s now really supportive.
- Thankful that there is a new team at work, working well together after serious problems a year ago. One person said it was “the most functional team I have ever worked in.“
- Thankful to God that He has improved a difficult friendship.
God Breaking Fear & Lack of Confidence
- Thankful that God has been freeing me from the fear of what other people might think (about my choice, actions, my children etc.). He has been showing me his graciousness and that he loves me unconditionally.
- Thank you God for giving me the strength to do things I’m terrified of, and peace when every bit of me is anxious and wants to run away.
- Thankful that God continues to support me in my workplace by giving me certainty about my abilities when praying.
- Thank you God for giving me faith and confidence in my own abilities at times when I doubt myself.
- Someone I know finally ‘got it’ and decided to start a missional community after years of looking in from outside. God can seem to be a long time coming but when He does act, He can be so much speedier and more effective than us humans.
- We are starting on a journey as an MC with people brought to us by God. Thank you God for building relationships, that we are enjoying each others company & supporting each other through difficult times with healing and restoration. This is the start of something bigger, deeper and more out reaching!
- Thankful that we can bring people together to explore the possibility of being community together – sharing a meal once a month & joining together for a prayer breakfast once a month.
- Thankful for a new member from another church who has joined our missional community which is bringing freshness to us all.
- Thank you God for growing our missional community with new students exploring the church, getting to know us and sharing fellowship!
- Thankful that our missional community is working well.
Other Missional Success
- Thank you God for introducing a person of peace in our lives who we can share your gospel with.
- Thankful to God that my friend is now reading the Bible.
Provision of Family, Friends & The Church
- We are without a car at the moment, God has looked after us through people’s generosity. When we have needed a car, people have offered us theirs to borrow, we thank God for this.
- “He puts the lonely in families” Leading and arriving new can be a lonely place. God has taught & provided us with community, a family, friends & fellow travellers and we are learning to grow up and become a family on a mission with God at the centre.
- I am thankful for having my family around me, especially my brother who defeated cancer a couple years ago. I frequently remember how thankful I am to God for this blessing in our life.
- Thank you God for my husband and for my daughter who was a direct answer to my question to God. Thank you also for my missional community where I can share issues.
- Thankful that God has kept my ex-foster children in my life who all visited this week.
- God told us to foster. To pour love into these children until it overflowed. This has blessed them & our lives.
- Thank you God for close friendships which have been a real blessing to help through broken times and for how much better a member of the church who is in hospital has been.
- Thank you Lord for giving me a wonderful earthly father. And thank you that although he is now gone to be with you, his memories, and the things he did, live on, teaching me about you.
- My sister got a new roommate who is a Christian which is a real answer to prayer!
- Thankful for being able to care for my dad with dementia and thankful that the majority of the family having an involvement in the process of getting him to a place where he will be looked after.
- Thankful for good friends through hard times, along with their prayers and God showing love & kindness in many ways.
- Thankful to God for sustaining & energising us through the transition from Park to the Westwood base; for a hunger to see more of Him at work in my life & those around us and for God’s sustenance, protection and growth of families & their ministries.
- Thankful for being able to take my elderly mum on holiday abroad. Thankful for being able to look after my father in law & thankful for the safe arrival of a baby, who was suspected to be an unhealthy baby and was nearly terminated.
- God has given our family a period of peace & stability in which we’ve been refreshed and been able to bless others.
Provision of Houses
- Thank you Lord that you are the God who provides. Thank you for our new home, a place of peace, rest and refreshment. Thank you for a wonderful new parish, neighbourhood and good neighbours who love Jesus and have been good to us.
- My mum moved house. It seems simple in itself but had massive breakthrough in God’s presence and movement in the process. Mum moved from a broken house, where for her and us as a family, there was a lot of spiritual chains/ strongholds over our life. We had to offer this all to God and depend on him. He did come through. My mum sold her house quickly and the move worked smoothly too. God’s amazing.
- I am thankful for our new home and the amazing connectivity there is around us for buses, trains, cycling, walking, shops. I am also thankful for the number of trees in this part of Coventry and for my family and friends.
Provision of Time, Finances & Work
- Thank you God for my new paid part time secondment role. Thank you God for letting me come to the UK and have wonderful time here. Thank you for letting me meet nice people through Westwood Church, for providing me a nice play to stay and encouraging me to try new things.
- Thankful for provision of money, getting unexpected funds, a tax rebate; and thankful for the generosity of family.
- Thank you God for the opportunity and making time available this year to do Form this year.
- Thank you God for giving me the health to complete my training such that I could afford to do Form and then provided me with a job I enjoy and that pays well too.
- Thank you God for my new job, redundancy pay in the transition period, an amazing 30th party, my health, having opportunities to bless and for fulfilled promises.
- Thankful that the DVD bit in the TV has been fixed. The children’s dad was made redundant & I’m also thankful that the redundancy money & help from the family meant we lasted the two months it took for him to get a new job.
Provision at University
- I’m thankful to God for helping me to get into university. My A level results did not meet the entry requirements, but I was still offered a place at my first choice uni. It was nothing short of a miracle.
- I am a mother and a wife, God has managed to take me back to university, something that I thought would be impossible, with His grace, I am now doing my second year. Also we are new in this branch of Church of England, God promptly sent us here as a family and we are very pleased to be part of this church.
- I’m thankful for all my safe travels and moving into uni smoothly. I prayed that I would be with the right people and my housemates are great.
- Thank you God for the house I’m living in, and the friends I’m with. I also thank you for the uni course I’m doing, that you help me with my work.
- Thank you Lord for the scholarship & this opportunity to do a masters and for having a great supervisor who looks out for me! Thank you God also for a good church!
- Thank you Lord for university and that I’ve found a place and a church which accepts and encourages me. I’ve had an amazing time so far.
- I am thankful that my degree is going really well. I am getting on well with other students and professors, and am really enjoying the course.
- I’m thankful to Lord for this precious life. I’m thankful for all the grace & blessing in my life, my family, friends & work. I’m thankful to Lord for bringing me to the UK for my studies in the Warwick Business School.
- Thank you God for helping me settle into uni & finding a good church.
- After years of praying and waiting, it is finally time for me to move back to Coventry. Housing and work opportunities came really easily – God’s hand is all over this plan, and it is beautiful to see Him at work.
- God has given me a strong sense of His presence in a life that is much changed. In the last five years as a widow with a house move and family difficulties (which he has healed one aspect of this). God is good – what would I do without Him & all the Christian support. Praise; praise Him.
- Thank you God for being a great provider, healer and strength.
- Thank you God for waking up every morning and being able to attend church.
- I am thankful that God has been beside me and given me strength over the past few months.
- Thankful that I got engaged!
- We are thankful that we having a baby!
- I went to the wedding of two of my friends yesterday. It hasn’t been an easy ride for either of them, and it was wonderful to be at their wedding and seeing how much God has done in their lives, and how many prayers have been answered.
- Thankful for a wonderful ‘big birthday’ celebration with our family & friends – all following the Lord – with children being brought up and nourished in the faith.
- Thankful that our grandson has passed his ‘passing out’ parade in the army.
- Thank you God for opportunities to make cakes to share with people.
- Thank you for a fun family weekend.
- I am thankful for all the travel opportunities God has given me this year & hope to experience many more in the immediate future.
- Thank you God for the half term holiday!
A Great Thought to End With
- This morning God reminded me that it is a blessing to do what you don’t want to do. God provides things that make it good.